- PRODUCT OVERVIEW
The TinyFPGA BX is a small FPGA module with all of the components and circuitry required for the FPGA to function taken care of for you. To develop for the board you create a design in your favorite digital design language (Verilog/VHDL, Migen, and Chisel are some popular options).
Alternatively, you can use a schematic entry tool like IceStudio. A schematic entry tool allows you to graphically draw a digital circuit to be implemented on the FPGA.Once you have a design, you can program it onto the TinyFPGA BX module over USB. All the functions your design implements will now be able to interface with the outside world through the module’s IO pins.
- Height: 1.4 inches, width: 0.7 inches
- Programming interface: USB 2.0 full-speed (12 mbit/sec)
- ICE40LP8K FPGA
- 7,680 four-input look-up-tables
-128 KBit block RAM
- Phase Locked Loop
- 41 user IO pins
- 8 MBit of SPI Flash
- Onboard 3.3 V (300 mA) and 1.2 V (150 mA) LDO regulators
- Low-Power 16 MHz MEMs Oscillator
- 1.3 mA power when active
- 50 ppm stability
Small form-factor is breadboard friendly
There’s plenty of space on either side for connecting jumpers or components. There is no smaller FPGA board available with this many logic resources!
Open source bootloader
Forget proprietary and expensive USB interface chips, the TinyFPGA BX implements its own open source USB bootloader! Upon power-up, USB bootloader is loaded from SPI flash and becomes active. It appears on the host computer as a virtual serial port device. The programmer software automatically detects the board and uses the serial interface to program your design onto the board. Once your design is loaded in the SPI flash, the board reboots and loads your design without the bootloader. To update your design just press the reset button and the bootloader will be activated again.
High-quality PCB design
The TinyFPGA BX improves upon the previous B2 model in every aspect and the PCB layout is no exception. In addition to nearly doubling the number of user IOs, the new PCB layout also an improved PCB layout and power delivery:
1. Four-layer PCB with dedicated ground and power planes
2. Six external ground connections (including the USB connector)
3. Power distribution and decoupling capacitors implemented by the book for all ICs, including bulk capacitance and ferrite bead filtering for the board.